Spinach (chopped) 1 bunch
Toor dal 1 cup
Handful of Moong dal
Lima beans ½ cup
Tamarind (marble size)
Asafoetida a pinch
Onion (chopped) 1
Garlic cloves (Chopped) 6-7
Green chillies 5-6
Turmeric ¼ tsp
Tomatoes (chopped) 1
Curry leaves 1 strand
Cumin ¼ tsp
Mustard ¼ tsp
Chilli powder 1-2 tsp
Dry Red chillies 2
1. Wash and pressure cook moong dal and toor dal in one
container and lima beans in another container with little
2. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
3. Soak the tamarind in water for sometime.
4. Heat oil in a pan add mustard, cumin, red chillies,
asafoetida, green chillies, garlic curry leaves one by one
5. Add onions and fry till transparent. Add tomatoes and
little salt. Cover the lid and cook for few minutes in low to
6. Now add chopped spinach and cook for 5-10 minutes in
7. Add cooked dal and lima bean mix well.
8. Add tamarind, chilli powder, turmeric powder. Mix well and
add sufficient water. Cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add
1 tsp of butter.
9. Spinach dal is ready to serve. It goes well with rice,
chapati and rotti.