Urad dal/Black gram 1 cup
Rice flour 1 tsp or Semolina 1 tsp
Green chilies (finely chopped) 4
Curry leaves (finely chopped) 1 strand
Ginger (finely chopped) small piece
Coconut pieces 1-2 tsp
Black pepper (crushed) ¼ tsp
1. Wash and soak urad dal in sufficient water. Drain and grind into smooth paste along with very little water. Batter should be thick.(do not add more water)
2. Transfer the paste into a large bowl. Add rice flour/semolina, green chilies, curry leaves, ginger, black pepper, coconut and salt. Mix well.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan.
4. Take plastic sheet and apply oil. Dip hand in water, take a lemon size batter on sheet, make a small hole at the center (like donut) and drop into oil. OR you can also use your palm instead plastic sheet. [This part is somewhat difficult for me. So I just scoop a teaspoon of batter and drop into oil]
5. Deep fry them till golden on medium heat.
6. Remove from heat and place them on paper towel.
7. Serve uddina vada with any chutney or Sambar.