Sonamasoori/Basmati Rice 1 cup
Onion chopped 1 cup
Grated coconut ½ cup or 3/4 cup
Chopped coriander leaves ½ cup
Pudina/Mint ¼ cup
Green chillies 4-5
Minced Ginger 1 tsp
Garlic cloves chopped 4-5
Cinnamon ½” stick
Cumin ¼ tsp
2 ½ cup water
Oil 1 Tbsp
Butter/ Ghee 2 tsp
Lemon juice 2 tsp
Vegetables – Carrot, Green peas, Beans, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Potato, Capsicum, Corn etc. [ Any vegetables can be added] - 1 cup/2 cups
1. Wash and chop the vegetables. Set aside.
2. Wash and drain the rice and keep aside.
3. Grind grated coconut, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, tamarind, cumin, green chillies, coriander and pudina leaves along with ½ cup water into smooth paste.
4. Heat oil and butter/ghee in a pressure cooker and add some cloves and cinnamon sauté. Add onions, fry them till transparent.
5. Add chopped vegetables and salt. Fry them for 2-3 minutes. Add rice and ground paste(masala), mix well. Add 1 ½ cups of water and cook till the rice is half cooked.
6. Now add extra ½ cup water, lemon juice and cover the lid. Cook till 1 whistle.
7. Serve hot VP with raita.