Toor dal (split yellow pigeon pea) 1 cup
Green chilies 5-6
Garlic cloves (minced) 4-5
Ginger (minced) ½ tsp
Tamarind grape size
Coriander leaves (finely chopped) ¼ cup
Curry leaves 1 strand
Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
Red chili powder ¼ tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Jaggery ¼ tsp (optional)
1. Wash and soak toor dal in water for 30 minutes.
2. Pressure cook soaked toor dal along with chopped onion, chopped
tomato, chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves, slit green chilies,
minced ginger and garlic, tamarind, turmeric powder, red chili
powder, cumin seeds, salt and 3 cups water till 5-6 whistle.
3. Once the pressure drops, open the lid. Mash the cooked stuffs
and transfer into a vessel. Cook for 2-3 minuts in low heat. [Bele
4. Seasoning: Heat a tsp of oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds,
when they crack add asafoetida and curry leaves. Pour this into
bele saru (step 3) and cover the lid.
5. Bele saru goes well with rice.