Dabeli is a popular street food of Gujarat. Dabeli means ‘pressed’ in Gujarati.
Whole grain bun/pav(OR any bun) 1 pack (8 buns)
Potato 2 medium size
Onion 1 medium size
Cilantro (chopped) 1 cup
Dabeli masala 1-2 tsp (store bought)
Date –Tamarind Chutney 1 cup (home made)
Roasted peanut ¼ cup (Or Cashew)
Raisins (Or Pomegranate/Fresh grapes) ¼ cup
Thin Sev ¼ cup
Cumin seeds ¼ tsp
1. Wash, boil/cook, peel and mash the potatoes.
2. Dry roast peanut, remove the skin.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds when it starts cracking
add asafoetida. Add onions and cook till transparent. Add dabeli masala, sugar, salt, mashed potatoes and little water.Mix well, remove from heat.
Add ½ cup date – tamarind chutney,mix well. (filling)
4. Cut the bun/pav into half and spread the tamarind chutney to both the pieces.
5. Now put the potato filling on the lower half of the bun. Top it with roasted peanut, chopped onion, cilantro, raisins and sev. Sandwich it with the upper half of the bun.
6. Roast both sides of bun/pav on tava with little butter. Serve hot.
Note: You can also roast the bun first and then do the filling part.